Thursday, November 8, 2012

Teach a Man to Fish

I've been fishing only a few times in my life, but I have a few vivid and fond memories of being present while others fished. For instance, my Dad - standing on a pier while on family vacation, simple fishing pole in hand, looking over the lake in full contentment, it seemed; swimming below a long thin waterfall in Nigeria while on school vacation (junior high or high school), splashing in our big bright inner tube as a tall man approached the watering hole carrying a large carved gourd under his arm. Without changing expression, he walked to the edge of the water and kept going. He held onto the gourd and speared fish, which he placed inside the hollowed gourd until it was full. Then he made his way back to the water's edge and walked out and away. It was a fascinating sight, and I often wondered how the dinner tasted.

Memories are knowledge gained. What do we do with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment